"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -- Mahatma Gandhi
Concealed Carry Garners Student Support Nationwide | Missouri Political News Service

Concealed Carry Garners Student Support Nationwide

February 29th, 2008 by mopns · No Comments

From Student Life: (Washington University)

By Kat Zhao

In light of the shootings at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University (NIU), students across the nation have assembled in support of policies for concealed carry of guns on college campuses.The group known as Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) has garnered more than 18,000 members, becoming the largest non-profit student organization advocating the right to carry concealed guns for safety and security reasons.

Some Washington University students, like College Libertarians President Mitchell Port, identify with SCCC’s goals. Port sees support for concealed carry in the Second Amendment.

“The right to bear arms is a fundamental right, and being able to protect yourself is extremely important,” said Port.

The state of Missouri grants concealed carry licenses, but the University prohibits carrying firearms on its campus, except in the case of licensed police officers of the Washington University Police Department.

“Basically, as a private university, [the University] can set its own rules,” said Port. “We think it would be better, and we encourage [the administration] to consider concealed carry.”

According to a description on SCCC’s Facebook page, students comprise 90 percent of SCCC’s membership while parents, faculty and others make up the remaining 10 percent. Read more…



Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment